When taking photographs or shooting video for stories, promotional materials, or other purposes, it is important to consider whether the subject of the photograph or film needs to complete a consent form prior to publication of their image.
Releases are not typically required for:
- Public events, particularly those in public spaces, such as Involvement Fest, Homecoming, or athletics games
- Crowd shots or other photos where subjects are not easily identifiable
- Group photos of faculty and staff
- Invited campus speakers
Releases are typically required for:
- Photographs taken in space that is presumed to be private, such as residence halls
- Photographs taken during a private event
- Photo shoots scheduled for promotional purposes
- Individual photos of faculty, staff, and students
- Minor subjects (under age 18, including university students)
- Students who are identifiable and who are in a location for a purpose other than to be photographed (e.g., practicing for a dance performance)
Please use this UMBC Photographic, Video, and Audio Consent and Release Form as needed. If you are uncertain if a form is necessary in a particular situation, it is best to err on the side of caution and complete the form.
We are currently working to streamline an electronic signing process and the digital storage of signed forms, campus-wide. That information will be posted here when available. In the meantime, we recommend creating a Box folder to store all of your department’s signed forms, and using the consistent file naming convention “Lastname Firstname MI event Year-Month-Date” so you can retrieve signed forms if necessary in the future (example: “Smith Sarah J orientation 2017-07-10“).
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.