Alumni I Address I Ampersand I Campus Location Names I Campus Offices and Departments That Use Abbreviations I Chair; Chairperson I Committee Names I Days I Degree Listings I Holiday Communications I Months I myUMBC I Names of People I Political Candidates I States I Titles I UMBC at The Universities at Shady Grove
All alumni of the university should be noted as such in university publications and websites. See proper styles here.
When including an address on a publication, please use following format:
Department Name (bold)
Room Number, Building Name (if appropriate)
University of Maryland, Baltimore County
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD (or Maryland) 21250
Please note: The full state name or abbreviation can be used above, followed by a single space, and then the zip code.
Campus Location Names
The four-letter acronym UMBC is how we want to be known. The university’s full name —University of Maryland, Baltimore County—should be used when there is a need to be explicit about the name of the institution, e.g., when writing for an audience outside of the region. Even in these instances, the acronym should be used after the first reference.
Do NOT use:
- University of Maryland
- University of Maryland, Baltimore Campus
- University of Maryland at Baltimore County.
Use a colon to separate the acronym and honors university tag line when referred to in print
- UMBC: An Honors University in Maryland
Additional Campus Location Names
Use these proper names for the following locations related to UMBC:
- UMBC Event Center
- UMBC at The Universities at Shady Grove (see more information at link)
Campus Offices and Departments That Use Abbreviations
Spell out the names of campus departments and offices and include the abbreviation in parentheses if repeating. On second reference, abbreviate with uppercase letters and no periods.
- The Professional Staff Senate (PSS) will meet on Thursday. PSS members will discuss….
Do not abbreviate days unless in tabular format where space is needed, then use first three letters of each day as shown.
- MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI, SAT, SUN
When abbreviating a degree, insert a period after each letter (no space between). Ph.D. is usually abbreviated.
- M.S. in Applied Molecular Biology
- B.A. in Africana Studies
These are the degrees offered at UMBC. See rules for degree capitalization.
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- B.F.A., Bachelor of Fine Arts
- B.S., Bachelor of Science
- B.S.E., Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- M.A., Master of Arts
- M.F.A., Master of Fine Arts
- M.P.P., Master of Public Policy
- M.P.S., Master of Policy Science
- M.P.S., Master of Professional Studies
- M.S., Master of Science
- Ph.D., Philosophiae Doctor (Doctor of Philosophy)
- A.B., Artium Baccalaureus (Bachelor of Arts)
- A.M., Artium Magister (Master of Arts)
- B.D., Bachelor of Divinity
- D.B., Divinitatis Baccalaureus (Bachelor of Divinity)
- D.D., Divinitatis Doctor (Doctor of Divinity)
- D.D.S., Doctor of Dental Surgery
- D.O., Doctor of Osteopathy
- D.V.M., Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
- Esq., Esquire
- F.A.I.A., Fellow of the American Institute of Architects
- F.R.S., Fellow of the Royal Society
- J.D., Juris Doctor (Doctor of Law)
- J.P., Justice of the Peace
- L.H.D., Litterarum Humaniorum Doctor (Doctor of Humanities)
- Litt.D., Litterarum Doctor (Doctor of Letters)
- LL.D., Legum Doctor (Doctor of Laws)
- M.D., Medicinae Doctor (Doctor of Medicine)
- M.P., Member of Parliament
- M.S.W., Master of Social Work
- Ph.B., Philosophiae Baccalaureus (Bachelor of Philosophy)
- Ph.G., Graduate in Philosophy
- S.B., Scientiae Baccalaureus (Bachelor of Science)
- S.M., Scientiae Magister (Master of Science)
- S.T.B., Sacrae Theologiae Baccalaureus (Bachelor of Sacred Theology)
Months may be abbreviated when a date is included but not when used alone or with a year.
- The fall semester begins Sept. 1, 2014.
- The fall semester begins in September 2014.
Names of People
In print stories, and as appropriate online, names of UMBC faculty, staff, alumni, and donors should be in bold. Alumni, including faculty and staff who attended UMBC, should be listed with their graduate year and major information. See proper alumni styles here.
- Richard Chisolm ’82, interdisciplinary studies, has a unique vantage point on UMBC’s history. He lived on the edge of campus as the university grew. In…
- UMBC researcher Govind Rao wants to bring the bounty of the information age to a drugstore near you.
Spell out state names when used alone. When abbreviating state names, use standard postal codes.
- Maryland is a wonderful state
- I hope to visit Baltimore, MD, soon
Titles of books, and other complete works such as magazines and newspapers, should be italicized.
- Plutopia by Kate Brown
- U.S. News & World Report named UMBC an up-and-coming…
- …was quoted in the The Washington Post
UMBC at The Universities at Shady Grove
Always use the proper name, UMBC at The Universities at Shady Grove, first in publications, especially when necessary to explain the full infrastructure. The alternate, UMBC-Shady Grove, is the preferred name for audiences familiar with the campus.
Do not use: UMBC@USG, UMBC-USG
UMBC at The Universities at Shady Grove is a branch campus located in Rockville, MD, operating at The Universities at Shady Grove, a USM regional center.
9636 Gudelsky Drive
Rockville, MD 20850